Sunday, March 18, 2012

Idea Part 2


The Idea Part 2

Once I accepted the fact that I could physically complete a ride USA border to USA border, I started to assess how I would do it. As I said before, riding on roads and highways while competing for space and my life with road vehicles, is not the way I prefer to cross the American landscape. I found a website for the American Discovery Trail - ADT (www.discoverytrail.org/Cached - Similar). Wow, did ADT appear to have the neatest idea for the twenty-first century. The ADT is designed to span the entire east-west breadth of our country. Unfortunately it appears it will take another hundred years for the ADT to be completed. The next great thing I stumbled upon was the website for Rails to Trails Conservatory (RTC) www.railstotrails.org. This group has the most excellent idea of encouraging folks to peddle more and enjoy it more. The RTC advocates transforming unused railway rights of way to recreational trails for bicyclists, skate boarders, roller bladders, equestrians, cross country skiers, walkers, runners or any other non-motorized mode of travel. The RTC has identified rail trails throughout the country, detailing location, length, interesting historical facts, GPS coordinates, and so on.  In analyzing the maps from the RTC, it was obvious I could not traverse America, east to west, riding rail trails such that every latitude would be crossed. It appears however that by going from one state to another, I will be able to ride a rail trail from the northern border of the USA, International Falls, Minnesota to the most trail accessible southern border, possibly Rosemary Beach, Florida.    

Now that I believe I am capable of completing this rail trail ride by including every longitudinal coordinate, it is time to learn how to use a GPS receiver to assure complete coverage of every north-south point border to border. In preparation I bought a Bushnell Onix 200CR GPS receiver that has yet to be mastered. GPS operation is not intuitive for this sexagenarian so I have been leaning on my all knowing computer pal, Sia, to download maps, routes and GPS software. Also I know I can get help from my engineering buddy, Mark.

The first ride of this Traversing America venture will debut with a ride from Anniston, Alabama to Smyrna, Georgia. Although this ride will only add 20-30 miles to the north-south component, I want to start this journey with sons Chris and Geoff. Thus meeting the Maze Boys from Iowa and California at Hartsfield Airport in Atlanta and having Ruth, the best employee I ever had, chauffer us to Anniston, will be the plan. The picture of the Maze Boys is the last time they were in Augusta together for a visit in 2008. I had hoped to get tickets for the Georgia vs. Alabama game, but no cigar. We dressed the part and went to Indigo Joe’s to root the Dawg’s to a loss---Boo! Note the stretching efforts to be the tallest brother.  Geoff wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment