Sunday, October 20, 2013

Seg #26 make up: Douglas State Trail & city streets/trails south of Rochester 10/10/13


In August, when Chris and I rode the Douglas Trail south from Pine Island to Rochester, I thought pedaling to Mayo Clinic was the end of the ride. I was off by a mere 8.5 miles. Only after writing a post (Segment #26) for my Blog, did I realize I needed to correct my mistake.  Since I planned to make a four day solo expedition this round of rides, I deliberated on making up the 8.5 mile ride while conquering the remaining three Minnesota and Wisconsin trails I needed for latitude.  My body is good for riding roughly fifty to sixty miles per day (wind and trail surface depending). Since this trip would require me riding over three hundred sixty miles, assuming I used previous solo ride logistics pumping to and from the car. This would be my first attempt at hiring taxi or taking a bus to haul me to one end of the trail, thus conserving time, energy and a whole series of musculoskeletal  maladies.  

    
By leaving Coralville at 6:00 a.m., I was able to get on the bike trail south of Rochester by 10 a.m. I had arranged for a cab to pick me up at the north end of the trail near Mayo Clinic at 11:15. This plan would give me a little flex time. But I didn’t imagine I would need to push my little red Trek Fuel 80 up a steep slope. The second mile of the juant had me attacking a long eight to 12 per cent trail with 250 feet elevation change. I try as I may, riding up this slope was a bit more than I was ready to handle. It was clear I would not be able make it to the top. Off I jumped. Huffing and puffing, wheeling the Trek up 40th Street hill. Thus I was a tad late meeting the taxi cab and just about lost out on keeping on schedule. The cab driver was a nice fellow and helped me load my bike in the back of his van. He got back to the car ahead of schedule so I had time for a bite to eat at Subway. 

After downing a chicken sandwich, I was off on a two hour drive to the William Munger Trail at Hinckley, Minnesota.


Orange lines are trails I have completed as of October 13, 2013. Green lines
are planned rides yet to be conquered mostly in the southern half of the USA
(Many trails in Arizona and California need to be planned)

No comments:

Post a Comment