Friday, June 6, 2014

Seg #39 American Tobacco-No Smoke Observed 5/10/14 Durham-Chatham NC

Seg #39 American Tobacco Trail 
End
Chatham, NC
N 35.71515 W 78.94345
N-S miles 19.8
Start
Durham, NC
N 35.99141 W 78.90566
Trl lgth 22.3mi Ride22.3mi


Ride hr 2:17
AVS 9.6
MXS   22.1mph
DST22.3 mi
Tmp75-85
Kcal 1798


It was Saturday so it would make sense that we would see a record number of people using on the American Tobacco Trail (ATT). In addition,  the weather was perfect and the trail was top ten quality. The first ten miles or so were paved with smooth asphalt, while the last nine of ten miles were hard crushed limestone. My average speed was up to 9.6 mph which got me to the southern end by 3:30 p.m.

Not bad if I must say so myself. There were a few, Lance Armstrong want-to-be's, busting buns at twenty to thirty miles per hour. Not a smart idea with all the other folks on the trail; especially the little folks wondering about like lost kittens. Trail courtesy has gone to hell since the early eighties when I first rode trails regularly. One thing that drives me nuts is how few bicyclists, coming in the opposite direction, acknowledge you. When I first started riding trails thirty years ago, nearly everyone would say hello, wave, nod their head or just lift a finger as they passed. You know, just acknowledging ones existence. I always say hello. But today the acknowledgement percentage has dropped like a lead balloon. Around fifteen per cent I figure. Sometimes when I feel spunky, I will loudly say hello early and load enough that if they were in an acknowledging mood,  I could not help but here their reply. When I did see or hear a response, then I will say it again and louder. When it is clear there has not been a response, then I finally yell HELLO!!!at the top of my lungs. By this time I have no idea whether they responded. I get my jollies out what I consider a sad state of friendliness affairs. I even give the "plugged-in" folks, woman, girls, children and older than I am trailer users a pass on my acknowledgement scale. The only group I can count on to show some respect for humanity, are the folks that are in the sixty and older age group. Does this observation mean anything really. I don't know but I think there is a growing element of self-centered, paranoid people that never existed before. Now that I have spouted out this bit of rubbish, back to ATT ride.
Smooth crushed rock on southern half of the ATT. I took
this picture after a Screamfest from a spaced off  walker.
I used my ding-a-ling bell the most I have used it on any trail. As "cheesy"(got this one from Chris) as it sounds, people do respond and move over for me to pass. The only problem is the bell will sometimes rotate on the handlebar such that I can't reach the lever until I am right up to the person. Dinging a bell or shouting, ON YOUR LEFT, frequently frightens them if the timing is off. On the ATT, I really scared a lady not paying any attention to other trail users. She was wondering on foot with a cell phone in her ear. She looked back toward me so I figured just a normal voice lever, on your left, would be fine. "Good gravy", just when I spoke the word's, she moved left (not right like she was supposed to), SCREAMING incoherently. I don't know how I missed hitting her but I did, thank the Lord. I stopped to apologize but she was not interested in what I had to say, ignoring me and continuing to yak on with her phone. It is common for trails to be busy with wandering parents and kids near the central areas of a town or city, especially on a holiday or weekend. Throw in distractions like groups of four or more, meandering folks with cell phones and ipods in their ears, the bicyclist needs to be alert. That is why I prefer riding during the week when often I don't see anyone for thirty minutes or more; many times no one, especially late fall and early spring  .

Downtown Durham at the Durham Bulls Stadium. Another
Hollywood/Kevin Costner  inspired site to see. Field of
Dreams and Mayberry are other examples (see Mt.Airy post)
The northern trail head starts in Durham. The whole downtown area is upscale and fun. Many folks were milling around at shops and restaurants or heading to the Durham Bulls baseball stadium. Durham is a place I would like to go back to and spend some time. Even go to a baseball game.
Giving a thumbs up for Durham. The city and trail are super

No comments:

Post a Comment