Sunday, September 21, 2014

Seg #45 Katy Trail #1 Firefighters Museum, OKC 9/16 Homatex

Seg #45 Katy Trail #1 Fire Fighters Museum OKC 9/16/14 

Start
I-44 OKC
N 35.53218 W 97.48346 
N-S miles 4,2
End
NE 4th St OKC
N 35.47147 W 97.46997
Trl lgth 5.3mi Ride11.2mi



Ride hr 1:20
AVS 8.5
MXS  mph 21.5
DST11.2 mi
Tmp 85
Kcal 433


The cab got me back to the car with nearly two hours of sunlight available. Off I went riding the Katy Trail south. The feature of note on this ride was visiting the Oklahoma Firefighter Museum. Given I live just three miles from the Iowa Firefighters Museum in Coralville and Geoff's father-in-law Yoshiharu was chief of the largest fire department in Tokyo, Japan, I am more than moved by heroism these people espouse. An American that was trapped in the horror of 911, escaped New York City by renting a car and driving back to his home in Colorado. He saw a sign on Interstate 80 identifying the  Iowa Firefighters museum in Coralville. He could not help but stop and leave a letter of appreciation for all firefighters. What a moving piece of history enshrined  at the Iowa museum.
Oklahoma Firefighters Museum on the right and the memorial to the Fallen
and Living is to the left. I wish I had taken a close up of this sculpture that
depicts a fireman chopping a hole in the roof and pulling a child toward him.
Placards on the grounds of the Oklahoma museum commemorated the courage of these pro-fessionals. It was nearing sunset so I took some pictures and headed on down the trail. I was able to get to the proper latitude and then headed back to the car just as it was getting dark. 
Oklahoma Fallen and Living Firefighters Memorial

No comments:

Post a Comment